As summer approaches, you already know you’ll be battling some sweltering heat. What you might not know is that you’re always battling polluted air, too. Today we’re going to describe how you can overcome both. The key is installing an air conditioner along with an air purification system too. This combination of HVAC products in your home allows you to get cooler AND cleaner air this summer (and likely for a decade or more of summers ahead).
Here’s what we’ll cover today:
- The Top Three Reasons Why Home Air Purification is Important
- The Top Three Signs Your Indoor Air Quality Needs Improvement
- How an Air Conditioner and Air Purifier Work Together to Deliver Health, Comfort, and Cost Savings
- Our Recommendations on Pairs of Air Conditioners and Air Purifiers for Your Home
Let’s dive in!
The Top Three Reasons Why Home Air Purification is Important
Your home is your sanctuary, but it’s being invaded by pollutants. We just happen to live in a time when synthetic chemicals are used in nearly every industry you can name: manufacturing, consumer products, agriculture, waste disposal, and the list goes on.
This means that we’re exposed to a wide range of airborne toxins every day through the items we use. And it’s why you probably need cleaner air in your home this summer (and throughout the year, of course).
An indoor air purification system can counteract your toxin exposure and help your air conditioner work better, which we’ll get to in a bit. Here are the top three reasons why home air purification is important:
- To Minimize Volatile Organic Compounds
Volatile Organic Compounds, or VOCs, are chemicals that can be emitted as gasses from certain solids or liquids. They are commonly found in building and home improvement materials like paint, adhesives, sealants, flooring, furniture, pressed wood products, upholstery, and carpets. VOCs can cause eye and respiratory irritation, headaches, dizziness, and in some cases, long-term health consequences. Examples of VOCs include formaldehyde, benzene, toluene, and xylene.
Many air purification systems, such as those equipped with activated carbon filters, capture and remove VOCs from the air. Activated carbon is excellent at absorbing VOC molecules, reducing their presence, and improving overall air quality.
- To Reduce Airborne Allergens
It turns out that a lot of us are suffering from perennial allergic rhinitis, otherwise known as hay fever. About 10-30% of U.S. adults, and sadly, about 40% of U.S. children deal with this condition on and off all year round, according to the National Institutes of Health. And the biggest causes of hay fever are indoor allergens: fungi or mold spores, cockroaches, dust mites, and pet dander.
Air purifiers equipped with High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters are specifically designed to capture and trap exactly these allergens, along with everyday dirt, debris, and soot. HEPA filters remove particles as small as 0.3 microns in size, which provides great relief to both adults and children with allergies or asthma.
- To Remove Germs
If you haven’t yet added an indoor air quality system to your strategy for preventing disease, it’s time to consider this tool. Air purifiers with UV-C (ultraviolet) germicidal lights can neutralize and eliminate bacteria and viruses present in your home’s air.
These types of air purifiers attack the bacteria that cause staph infections, gastrointestinal illnesses, strep throat, pneumonia, sinusitis, tuberculosis, and even Legionnaires’ disease. They also attack the viruses that cause the common cold, flu, RSV, rhinoviruses, measles, covid-19, and other coronaviruses.
The Top Three Signs Your Indoor Air Quality Needs Improvement
While everyone’s indoor air quality can benefit from some improvement, the following are three signs that the air in your home is impacting you and your family negatively right now:
- Frequent Allergy Symptoms or Illnesses
If you or your family members experience a lot of sneezing, coughing, or itchy eyes, or if you’re coming down with a lot of colds and flu, your air quality may be the culprit. Dust, pollen, pet dander, bacteria, viruses, and other airborne pollutants may be circulating in your home and triggering these health issues.
- Lingering Odors
Persistent and unpleasant odors that won’t dissipate despite regular cleaning might indicate that your indoor air quality is compromised. Odors can originate from mold, mildew, pets, cooking, or chemical off-gassing from household products.
- Excessive Dust
If dust seems to build up constantly in your home, you might want to blame your air quality and not your pets, family members, or cleaning capabilities. Excessive dust is an issue best tackled by an indoor air quality system along with an efficient air conditioning system. That leads us nicely to our next topic below.
How Air Conditioning and Air Purification Work Together to Deliver Health, Comfort, and Cost Savings
By combining a new air conditioning system with an air purification system, you can get cooler and cleaner air this summer, and for many summers to come. And you can improve the quality of life for your family and all your guests while you’re at it.
Here’s how these systems work together to deliver health, comfort, and cost savings:
- Enhanced Filtration
Typically, traditional air conditioning systems have basic air filters that capture larger particles. However, an air purification system adds an extra layer of filtration to capture smaller and even microscopic particles such as allergens, bacteria, viruses, and VOCs. This results in cleaner indoor air.
- Improved Respiratory Health
With cleaner air from better filtration, you literally breathe easier. When homeowners with allergies or respiratory conditions add air purification to their air conditioning, the combination greatly improves their comfort at home, and, more importantly, protects their health. They report suffering far fewer allergic reactions and asthma attacks and catching fewer colds and other illnesses.
- Odor Elimination
Unpleasant smells that linger in your home are not normal, and not something you have to live with. Air purifiers equipped with activated carbon filters work alongside your air conditioner’s circulation capabilities to neutralize odors, remove them, and leave your home smelling fresh and clean.
- Energy Efficiency
Upgrading to a new air conditioning system and integrating an air purification system can deliver energy savings. Modern air conditioners are designed to be more energy-efficient, consuming less fuel while delivering optimal cooling performance. Additionally, air purification systems are designed to clean the air that your air conditioner circulates throughout your home. This allows your air conditioner to operate without unnecessary strain, which reduces your energy consumption even further.
- Extended Lifespan of Your Air Conditioner
By incorporating an air purification system into your home HVAC, you add years to your air conditioner’s life. The air purifier filters out contaminants and particles that accumulate not only in your air but inside the air conditioning system too. Thus an air purification system reduces wear and tear and the risk of system malfunctions. Your air conditioner will operate more efficiently and maintain its performance for a longer period of time.
Our Recommendations on Pairs of Air Conditioners and Air Purifiers for Your Home
As a Lennox Premier Dealer, we have several recommendations of products that work together to deliver cooler and cleaner air to your home.
Following are several different pairs of Lennox air conditioning systems and air purification systems that cater to different needs and budgets. Each delivers optimal cooling plus optimal indoor air quality.
Best All-Around Air Conditioning and Air Purification System
For a comprehensive solution that combines excellent cooling performance and advanced air purification capabilities, we recommend the following Lennox pairing:
- Lennox EL23XCV Air Conditioner (Lennox Elite Series): The EL23XCV is a top-of-the-line air conditioner known for its exceptional efficiency and quiet operation. With a SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) rating of up to 23, it provides excellent cooling while reducing energy consumption.
- Lennox PureAir™ S Air Purification System: The PureAir S is a whole-home air purification system that delivers hospital-grade filtration. It is equipped with advanced carbon filtration that removes over 99% of the virus that causes covid-19 from the air. It removes other viruses, bacteria, and fungal spores from the air as well. The PureAir S does not produce the ozone that other air filtration systems often do. It even clears any ozone it finds in your home, and has smart technology that communicates with the other components of your HVAC system (like your thermostat) and notifies you when it needs servicing.
Best Air Conditioning and Air Purification System on a Budget
If you’re looking for a cost-effective option that doesn’t compromise on performance and air quality, consider the following Lennox pairing:
- Lennox ML14XC1 Air Conditioner (Lennox Merit Series): The ML14XC1 offers reliable cooling efficiency with a SEER rating of up to 4. It provides consistent comfort and energy savings while being budget-friendly.
- Lennox Healthy Climate® MERV 11 Media Air Cleaner: This media air cleaner is a cost-effective air purification solution. It features a filter with a Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value, or MERV, of 11, which means that it will trap nearly 80% of particles in the air between 1-3 microns in size, and more than 85% of particles greater than 3 microns in size. This air purifier delivers cleaner indoor air quality without breaking the bank.
Best Air Conditioning and Air Purification System for Severe Allergies
If you or anyone in your family has severe allergies or is particularly sensitive to airborne pollutants, the following Lennox pairing provides exceptional allergen reduction and enhanced air quality:
- Lennox SL28XCV Air Conditioner (Lennox Signature Series): The SL28XCV is one of the most advanced and quiet units available. With a SEER rating of up to 28 and Precise Comfort® technology, it automatically adjusts airflow and temperature in increments as small as 1%. This means it matches your comfort preferences meticulously while delivering superior energy efficiency. It’s also built with an aluminum alloy that withstands even the harshest weather conditions.
- Lennox PureAir Air Purification System: This system has all the power of the PureAir S that we described above, but without some of the advanced communication features. For families whose allergies already require extra expenses, this air purifier is a powerful, hospital-grade workhorse without the costs that extra tech adds. PureAir’s carbon and ultraviolet filtration safely and effectively reduce allergens, bacteria, viruses, and other airborne contaminants.
Best Air Conditioning and Air Purification System for Large Homes
If your home spans 3,000 square feet or more, you need a robust cooling system combined with a powerful air purification system. Consider the following Lennox pairing:
- Lennox EL18XCV Air Conditioner (Lennox Elite Series): The EL18XCV performs well for larger homes by dynamically adapting to the temperature and humidity throughout. It is a digital-ready, responsive system with modern communication features like remote diagnostics. With a SEER rating of up to 19, it delivers an ideal balance of comfort and efficiency that saves you on energy costs.
- Lennox PureAir S or PureAir Filtration System, or a Healthy Climate Carbon Clean MERV 16 Media Air Filter: Any of these choices would suit a large home well, depending on your budget and your goals. You can’t go wrong with the exceptional filtration that the PureAir systems deliver. But large homes are also well-served by the Carbon Clean 16 filter. It eliminates 95% of airborne allergens, germs, bacteria, and other particles as small as .3 microns in size. And it doesn’t restrict airflow at all, which is key in larger homes.
At Kowalski Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing, we believe that cool, clean, healthy air is your right. We customize air conditioning and air purification systems for every customer’s home, budget, and health concerns. Our estimates are free, and our work is pristine.
Give us a call at 412-952-5923. You can also contact us via our website at any time. We look forward to serving you!